Book “Walking with Lions : Tales from a Diplomatic Past” written by Shri K. Natwar Singh, former Union Minister for External Affairs
March 8 2013:
Cabinet approves the Rights of citizens for timebound delivery of Goods and services & redressal of their Grievances Bill 2011 and will have to passed by Parliament to become Law now
Bill Aims to promote Transparency and accountability in the Govt's Service Delivery system.
Includes Constituional bodies Statutory bodies, Public Private Partnerships, NGO's funded by Govt Etc
This will Direct the Public authorities to Publish the Citizen Charter detailing the services they offer, Quality of services to be provided and Timeline for Delivery.
Opposition Critising the bill that its in line with the Spirit of Federation, saying that Centre should only provide the model and not dictate the states, also that Many states like J&K, UP, Himachal, Rajasthan have already enacted Citizen Charter Acts.
First Annual Tagore Award was presented to Sitar Maestro Latee Pandit Ravishankar by President.---------
D.H Waghela has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court, He succeeded Justice Vikramajit Sen.---------
1.Wind power in Karnataka
(Source: The hindu)
(Source: The hindu)
- According to a Study conducted by Center for study of science Technology and policy (CSTEP) Wastelands are a potential source of Wind power
- CSTEP and Bangalore based research institute has estimated that on-shore wind power potential of Karnataka can go up several times if Turbines powered by Taller Windmills are installed.
- Its said that report is more authentic as Geographical information system was used to map out the wastelands as well as areas rich in Wind potential.
- Wastelands in Karnataka Could generate at-least power capacity of 50,000 MW of wind energy with turbines fitted with a height of 80 meters,according to the study.
- The identified districts with good wind power potential are Bellary, Chitradurga Chamarajnagar, Chikkaballapur, and parts of Hasan, Koppal , Bijapur,Chikmagalur and Kolar
- Study revealed that 5% of the Wind rich agricultural lands could amount to 20,000 MW wind power generation.
- Also its said that Together Andhrapradesh and Karnataka Amount for a fourth of country's wind power potential.